Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Amazing the Man?

Without fail, God never ceases to awe, inspire, and just plain amaze me by who He is and all He does through his blessings, grace, and protection. I am truly humbled by His love for me since it’s beyond all reason, logic, and imagination. I have slammed the brakes on spinning my wheels to understand this lopsided relationship... Only to wonder if there’s anything I / we can do that would totally amaze the Man who opened the eyes of the blind, gave hearing to the deaf, walked on water, turned water into wine, and rise from the dead. Jesus is awesome. Is it even possible to amaze Him?

Initially I cast off the question as ridiculous…”Of course there’s nothing I can do to amaze Him!” But after reading Luke 7:1-11; NIV I discovered my answer…Jesus is amazed by our faith. Not a belief that He exists and that He rose from the dead, but a life which trusts Him completely. The centurion was a Gentile, he may have come to know God through the teachings he had heard, but he wasn’t a Jew. There was no reason why a guy like this would put his trust in Jesus, and yet he did. The centurion trusted Jesus more than any of the Jews Jesus ran into. And this amazed Jesus. The Jews had the Scripture pointing out who Jesus was, but the centurion came from a very different culture. A culture which didn’t recognize the God of Abraham let alone His messiah. Yet he had faith in Jesus.

Look around us today and there is no reason why we should have faith in God. Science and technology have helped us conquer the world. Everyday we learn more about the Universe we live in. Spirituality is all the rage today. People want to explore the mystery and experience the mystical. It seems so exciting; so much for people to discover.

The world is telling us that Jesus is obsolete; that He’s no longer relevant to today’s society. Imagine anyone saying that He’s the only way to God. The arrogance! The legalism! HA! But by going against the world and trusting Jesus, this is how we amaze Him. I’m not talking about simply walking down the aisle at church and accepting Jesus as your Savior and being baptized. Rather, I’m talking about a life that trusts Jesus more than we trust ourselves. Not only saying we trust Jesus for our salvation, but putting it on the line and obeying what He has commanded. What a way to honor and amaze Him!

0 comments: