Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Choose differently

My post today centers around a beautiful story an artist friend, Christopher Williams shared in his current newsletter www.myspace.com/christopherwilliams (pleeeease check him out...he will blow your mind in a most melodious way!!)

"I arrived and found I had a solid hour to take a snooze to prepare for my show. I found a deserted couch in the back room of the coffeehouse and laid down only to be awakened by the sound of a piano being played just a dozen or so feet near my sleepy head. Instead of getting annoyed at the disturbance, I took it in for what it was...old standards being lovingly played by an elderly woman wearing a bonnet who was rekindling some piece of her past by gliding her fingers across the black and white keys. I stood hidden from her view in the darkness of the back room and watched as she played with heartfelt emotion. She finished and then walked into the middle of the coffeehouse and introduced herself to a stranger sitting in a comfy chair. They got to talking and I remained in the background taking it all in - as I've been thinking alot about my story and what a gift it is to be able to travel and intersect with moments and other peoples stories along the way; really praying that I would have moments to see story unfold...and here it was before my eyes.

Grandma Corrie, as she is known to locals, goes to the Catholic Church on the corner every afternoon for Mass and then comes into the Ikebox coffeehouse...and as I learned, often stops to buy people cups of coffee; and that is exactly what she did that afternoon. Giving a $5 bill to her new friend, she asked him to buy himself a mocha, and to keep the change. The gentleman, dressed warmly to protect from the Oregon rain was of capable means to buy his own cup of coffee, so he hesitated to accept this gift from a stranger, yet finally and reluctantly he accepted her kindness. They sat and talked for a while longer, sipping on their coffees...and I witnessed him physically relax as they spoke their stories sweetly to one another, as just moments ago, they were complete strangers.

And what happened next I will never forget. Grandma Corrie, old enough to be this gentleman's mother, stood up and took her place behind him in the midst of the conversation and she began to rub his shoulders and neck slowly. He stopped talking, as she bent down and whispered something to him. I will never know what it was she whispered...but I believe it was a sweet reminder that he is loved, and possibly a prayer for him and his story...and then she kissed him on the head."

I don't know about you, but this story really captivated me....total strangers stepping into each others stories...just for a moment of time where everything faded away into a complete and genuine moment of life happening. What an amazing gift! I truly hope that we all can witness, take part and step into moments like this during this holiday season in spite of the busyness we're surrounded by. Sadly, the busyness tells our story to build itself upon what we buy and give to one another, more so than what we can speak into one another. What a beautiful thing it would be if we took the time to choose differently...

2 comments:

Richard said...

If I got up and started rubbing someone's neck and shoulders, I'd probably be arrested. Still, beautiful story :-P.

Romi said...

Yeah, I could see that happening fo shur Richard! lol Grandma Corrie on the other hand has got the "grandma" factor going on, but even so it still seems a wee bit intrusive. Idk maybe it's just me...