Saturday, April 19, 2008

What would it be?

If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one ability or quality, what would it be?-The Book of Questions, pg 24
This is a fun question. For me, I think it would be (all super-human abilities aside) the ability to sing beautifully in front of people. I love to sing, I always have, and music has such an amazing ability to move me. Beautiful music can bring me to tears in an instant. When I hear a really good singer or musician, it fills something up inside me, it can bring me such peace and joy. I would love to be able to contribute my voice in that way. I’ve performed with choirs in the past, but there’s no risk to that. It’s very safe. The thought of standing out on stage with nothing but me and the microphone just paralyzes me with fear. A good singer has to make themselves vulnerable to allow their emotion to fill up the music. Sometimes I watch someone sing, and I have to look away because the look on their face is so passionate and raw it feels like a private moment that I shouldn’t intrude upon. I am terrified to open myself up in that way. It would mean so much to be able to let go of that fear and communicate my heart and soul to an audience through music. Praying one day I’ll face my fear so I can literally and figuratively find this voice of mine.

So back to the question....what would yours be?

1 comments:

Andrea Sipe said...

Hmmm . . . perhaps be able to bend space and time . . . I don't know. Like you, Romi, I love the arts . . . I miss them. I miss the expression . . . I miss acting, and getting to escape myself for a while. I miss dancing and the feeling of adrenaline and beauty and the freedom, like flying!! I miss singing (I was once told I have the kind of voice that "people just don't like to listen to" - HAHAHA!! That was the end of my public singing - over 10 years ago!!! :) ) I miss the bleding of sounds into something harmonious and melodic, the way they combine and affect the soul. So, perhaps, if I could have a power, I, like you, would give myself a way to express myself creatively again!! :) Or maybe I would just be invisible . . .