Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My kind of quirky!

Well, I'm happy to say I'm no longer the only remaining soul on the planet who still hasn't seen Juno!! I really had wanted to see it when it came out in theaters, but for one reason or another I just never did get around to it. In anycase, I watched it on dvd last night and absolutely looooved it!!! It was totally my kind of quirky in all aspects of the film right down to the the phenomenal song tracks!! Honestly I wasn't sure whether I'd like this flick or not, but after seeing it, there's no doubt in my mind about the excellence of this film. The story is engaging, the characters very likable (I really liked Juno a lot...she was just so fiesty and spicy! Ellen Page just nailed the role and now I understand why she was up for an Oscar nod), and the emotionality is on point. Many of the negative reviews seem to criticize the film for not taking the emotional toll of teenage pregnancy into account. Seriously, these people must have left early or fell asleep, because once Juno gives birth, I see the difficulty she has with giving up her baby (didn't they notice the tears she cried?) Consequently, while she may have appeared tough-skinned and gruff throughout the film, I ultimately do see that the issue does get to her. And beyond the "teen gets pregnant and gives baby to breaking apart married couple" plot device, I think the story is so much more about the deeper, mental journey Juno goes (or more like waddles) through and only to come closer to understanding herself and the world in which she lives in a bit better. The movie really had an optimistic ending; when things get hard, just hold on, and do what you think is right. The things and people who are worth sticking with will be there when its over.

And of course I could talk forever about all the social issues that stem from this movie.......and maybe that's what we should take from watching Juno...the chance to talk to each other, or our older kids about how we feel on the many issues that could be raised from this movie. Why in the world did Juno and Bleeker have sex, much less unprotected sex in the first place? The whole abortion debate... The question on whether Juno and Bleeker would have made better parents in the end than the Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman characters, (and it was a little too weird having Bateman's character acting attracted to a pregnant Juno.) The idea that putting a child up for adoption can be a real good thing at times, yes. But the leaving the father totally out of all the decisions and thinking on the baby, no. 'Nough said and point made.

All in all I'm glad this movie was made and that I finally got to see it! For me, it's a 4 out of 5.

0 comments: