Monday, July 7, 2008

Please, tell me another story!

"God loves you; you matter to him. That is a fact, stated as a proposition. I imagine most of you have heard it any number of times. Why, then, aren't we the happiest people on earth? Because it hasn't reached our hearts. Facts stay lodged in the mind for the most part. They don't speak at the level we need to hear. Proposition speaks to the mind, but when you tell a story, you speak to the heart. We've been telling each other stories since the beginning of time. It is our way of communicating the timeless truths, passing them down." ~ John Eldredge; Waking the Dead; pgs. 23-24
I love this quote because it further reminds me why stories are so critical to sinking this truth - "God loves me; I matter to him" deep down into my heart causing me to believe it with my whole being. Unfortunately, too often this truth dislodges from my heart and floats right back up to my head! : (

0 comments: