Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Yes or No, that is the question

Admittedly it feels good to say yes because it feels good to be needed, and it feels even better to be able to respond to those needs.

But saying yes, taking on more responsibility often means accepting a new role. And because yes does not result in the receipt of more hours in the day as compensation, yes to one thing means no to something else, obviously. This something else could be trivial: it could be tv, reading, surfing the net, or daily house chores (I'm all for giving up chores! ; ) But it also could be critical: it could be time spent with family, much needed sleep, or time for silence and meditation.

Saying no and yes require discernment, and though there is nothing wrong with saying yes, there is a certain humility that can be learned by saying no (something God has really been working on in my heart.) Sometimes, saying no is an admission that I can’t do it all. I can’t have it all. I can’t save the world. And thankfully, that's not my job...“Savior” is a role I’ll never have!

The question many women ask, “Can I have it all? Can I have a great career and a great family?” often overlooks the simple fact that we only have 24 hours in a day. We only have one body. None of us can travel through time or space in a quantum leap. We aren't wonder woman (dang, I always wanted to be her too!) Saying yes to one thing always requires saying no to something else.

So I've been challenging myself lately that whenever I have an opportunity to say yes, I'm learning to take it seriously while considering what I would be saying no to. What about you?

0 comments: