Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Cry me a river!



My family and I saw “Marley and Me” the other night and let me say between the 4 of us and the rest of the theater, the water works were on flood mode!! Think Old Yeller 2008! Pheeew!!

Yet despite the saddness, I still very much enjoyed this film, but it was far from what I thought it would be based on the previews I saw. It definitely is NOT a feel good cheery li’l Christmas film as its’ been marketed. It’s a much deeper movie that burrows into your soul and relentlessly pulls and tugs on your heart strings until you have no choice but to cry, weep, sob, bawl, whatever you want to call it. Especially for anyone who has or had a pet, no matter how hard you fight it, be forewarned, the tears will come! And I’m not normally a cryer at movies, maybe a tear or too, but I couldn’t control them during this film. It really was a good movie about real life situations involving love, life, and death. It depicted how joy and sorrow mix all the time in life. Each experience reintroduces us to the reality that the circle of life involves birth, relationships, death, and so much more. Maybe the tears came because it mirrored many events in my own life. Who knows, but all I know is that I was a wreck at the end of it. Some people presume it's only about an unruly dog, however it's so much more than that. It embraces and celebrates unconditional love and how that can and does impact everyone.

"Marley & Me" is about a couple (John and Jen) getting through the struggles of life as they have three kids and move a number of times, but as the family gets bigger Marley’s role gets smaller and the focus of John and Jen turn to their kids and John’s job. The movie intricately weaves a web for the audience to fall in love with Marley despite his issues, so you end up loving him especially as he gets older and is less of a troublemaker.

The only thing I had an issue with is the PG rating of the film. Based on the adult content and inappropriate language, it should have been rated PG-13. I also think this is one of the reasons the film has been getting poor reviews along with the misleading marketing. It's sometimes hard for people to embrace a film when they're emotionally expecting one thing (fun, uplifting ending) and end up with something much different (heartwrenching and a sad ending.) It's almost like a set-up and betrayal. Even so, I still very much liked this film and so appreciate the surprising depth it offered. I definitely would see it again, but this time prepared with a box of tissues instead of crunchy movie napkins! ; ) I really encourage you to see this movie! http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809995057/info

5 comments:

Cassie said...

I read the book and LOVED it, but I kinda don't want to see the movie because I am afraid of not loving it as much...

Tara K said...

I read the book too and loved it! I'm actually seeing the movie tomorrow with my mom and aunt and we're all kinda nervous after hearing so many people talk about how they bawled... oh man..

Brandy said...

I have been hearing from numerous people that it's a tear-jerker.
I think I'm going to read the book first.

Jared Ulrich said...

Ok, like I told you I might be waiting for it now and it won't happen. I mean I definitely have a soft side, but now that you've warned me it's gotta be pretty tragic to get a tear from me. And probably not a river - maybe more like a small puddle :-)

Andrea Sipe said...

So, Jared . . . what's the verdict? Trickle? Puddle?? River??? Did you even CRY, you hard-hearted . . . just kidding! :P

I won't see this movie - I already know how it ends, and I just won't do it. I'm crying just THINKING about it - UGH!!! :) What a wimp . . .