Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The best policy of honesty

The truth will set you free is something I've always been told. However, my grandmother once told me there is such a thing as being too honest (at the time I didn't quite get what she meant by that.) The reality is that sometimes brutal honesty can cost friendships and huge misunderstandings. So I ask the question....is honesty really the best policy?

Recently, a family member said some very hurtful things to me. Instead of confronting her at the time of the incident I decided to leave. Now that I've had a chance to gather my thoughts, that situation taught me a valuable lesson ~ "being honest doesn’t mean being hurtful." The people closest to us know not only our strengths but our weaknesses and insecurities. It's human nature to examine the flaws of one another, but it’s an individual decision to continue to remind a person of what’s wrong with them. Overall, there is a fine line between honesty and rudeness. My daily challenge is to choose my words carefully and understand that sometimes what I say can hurt someone.

So honesty still is the best policy and in the grand scheme of things, I believe integrity is one of the greatest attributes to possess. The challenge is to maintain my integrity while being tactful and respectful at the same time. Over the years I've learned that if I give what I think is constructive criticism to someone then I have to be able to receive it as well.

"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." Proverbs 12:18

2 comments:

Brandy said...

I find that sometimes because I didn't grow up as a Christian that the "old me" wants to come out. The old me was mouthy,very mouthy. I know Satan is waiting for that one moment where he can literally feed things into my words.
I am so thankful to God, because he's literally stopped me from saying something bad.
Honestly is always the best, but depending on the issue, it's hard to approach it in a good way.

Andrea Sipe said...

Hmmm . . . I hear ya, and this is a toughy. I've always had trouble being honest with someone (even when they NEED it), if it may cause them pain or whatever . . . I just am too much of a people-pleaser, and I HATE that about myself. I'm learning to say the hard things, even when people don't want to hear them, but it's still hard for me. However, to be honest DOES NOT include being rude. I believe that honesty must have at it's root LOVE, and LOVE will not be rude and mean, love will tell you LOVINGLY when you've done something wrong . . . and when done in love, the humble will be able to accept the truth, no matter how painful, and grow from it . . .