Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Lifetime Guarantee

"Goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life" Psalm 23:6. For some reason like a song you just can't get out of your head, this passage has refused to budge from my rooftop these past few days! When that happens, it's usually God trying to tell/teach me something. By no means am I an expert at all on interpreting scripture, so please bear with me. Here's what it says to me....

Goodness and mercy. Not just goodness alone, for we're all flawed and in need of mercy. And not just mercy alone, for we're all fragile and inadequate, in need of God's goodness. But He incredibly guarantees and promises both all the days of our lives!! Think of the days that might lie ahead: challenging days raising kids, days in a dead-end job maybe, underpaid and financially strapped, or days of sickness or loneliness. Whatever days you might face, the Shepherd will be following you and me. I think we're accustomed to a God who remains in one place; who sits enthroned in the heavens and rules. But like a Shepherd who comes behind, gently coaxing His sheep forward, our God follows us. Pursues us. Tracks us down and wins us over. So often we miss Him; and sadly don't even know when He's near. Yet, He's always there; through the kindness of a stranger, through the question of a child, through a word of encouragement spoken or a hug well timed we sense His presence. Even when we choose our hovel over His house and our efforts over His grace, He's still following. Never forcing us. Never leaving us. Using all His power to convince us that He is who He is , and that He can be trusted to lead us home. Wow! Who says there are no guarantees in life?!! Our God is pretty tootin' AMAZING!!!

1 comments:

Brandy said...

Ooohhhh...I like your version of it.
I like the part about God pursuing us.