Saturday, September 20, 2008

Somber Sunday

Okay baseball friends....Sunday (9/21) is rapidly approaching for the last official game at Yankee Stadium before its sniff, sniff demolition demise. I still can't believe they're tearing it down all in the name of progress. Wouldn't it have been better (and probably cheaper) to gut it again like it was in 1973, but this time restore it to its former glory (while adding some fan-friendly amenities)? After all, it's only the 3rd-oldest ballpark in the majors, and the two older ones aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Yankee Stadium was built for the game to be played, with a mystic quality and magic that was just there, ya know?! Plus there were no bad seats in da house! I guess that's why I like it so much (no, not just because of the seats.) True, it's a simple park and may not be really clean or perfect, but baseball is the soul of that place...it's seen so much history!! A new stadium will never duplicate that. Sheesh, if those walls could talk....what a phantasmagoria of sights, sounds, and memories they'd flood us with. This is just plain wrong....what is this world coming to??!!! Anyone else sharing my pain?

2 comments:

Brandy said...

So, my friend turned me on to the Yankees about a year ago. He's made me a fan! He just came back from NY and saw the old stadium. I wish I was a fan a long time ago and could of seen the stadium. But we vowed to see the new one, eventually.
Go Yankees!! :)

Andrea Sipe said...

Nope . . . sorry, not feeling it . . . maybe it's because I'm a Red Sox fan . . . . MOO-AHHH-HAHAHAHA!! :) (love you anyway! xoxo) Used to be a D-backs fan, but I'm afraid that has gone down the drain!! (long story - remind me and I'll share it with you sometime!)