Friday, October 24, 2008

Whatta wise guy....

And seriously, I'm not being facetious either! This link is from Shawn Groves blog...I really do think "brilliant guy" is on to something.
http://www.shaungroves.com/shlog/comments/the_brilliant_guy_i_met_tonight/

Hmmm....just musing and wondering if I should have done what this guy is doing since I didn't have a handle or a clue on what I wanted to do with my life (especially since the career path I was on came to a very unexpected halt...a topic for another post), and so I ended up in college because it was expected and also it was suppose to be a default plan. I often wonder if I would have saved myself a whole lot of grief and pain (and yes, money too) I inevitably have gone through trying to find my course in life. After 4 years of a stellar college education, I walked away more aimless and more in debt than I had walked in!

But please don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-college by any means, because I do think it has a ton of value and merit for one's future. My degree did open a lot of doors that otherwise would have remained closed to me. And I do believe college is the right path for those that do know exactly or have some sense of what they want to do with their lives. I think for me I should have taken some time to re-group after losing my career path and direction rather than plunge right into school, hit or miss hoping for the answers. I know now I didn't want to deal with the pain and loss of identity. It was just too overwhelming and all I wanted was for someone, anyone to point me in the right direction and tell me what to do next. Well, obviously that's no way to lead and live a life, and as a result I found myself doing and working in positions I hated and resented, and of course blaming everyone else in the process (that was just so much easier to do.) Of course there were many mitigating factors from my upbringing that played into this scenario (only child, first one of the family to go to a top notch school, I was type A and driven, etc.), but I think it's primarily because I caved and allowed myself to be and do what others expected of me and never quite found myself in that given 4 year time period. For me college should have been postponed until I had a better sense of who I was and what God was asking of me. Unfortunately, I never put God into the equation at all until later on in my life and that's when things finally started coming together. Fancy that! ; )

Well I've rambled on long enough (thanks to those of you who've made it this far! lol) and obviously there are pro and con to both paths. I'm curious to hear what you all think on this topic...

"You have to know where you are before you can get where you want to go." ~ Nelson Searcy

1 comments:

Cassie said...

hmm... I think too many times it is expected that you have to jump into college right out of high school. Nothing against universities, but I am a big fan of kids going to Community college for a few years, get the basic stuff out of the way and figure out what the heck they want to do. It would have saved me a lot of heartache and changes to my major(and money!) if I had done that from the start. As it stands, I am on the 9 year plan to graduate :)